Welcome to Remembering Natalie.  
This blog has been created by us, Natalie's mom and sisters, to share with all of you, glimpses of her amazing 23 years of life.  
This is not meant to be a sad look back . . . but more a way to tell her story and keep her memory as bright as her life was.
Our hope is that here, you'll find good doses of laughter, her great recipes, 
our random thoughts and memories, and maybe a few tears. 
 We are not what you would call the "pro-active" type . . . 
but this is our attempt to aid in the awareness of DVT and Factor V Leiden, 
the conditions that ended her life here on earth.  
We hope you'll check in every-so-often, and if you have any stories of her . . . please, do tell! 
If you didn't know Natalie, get to know her by reading her story found at the bottom of the page . . .
So thanks for visiting & come back as often as you'd like!
"Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. 
One day each of us will run out of tomorrows"
~President Thomas S. Monson~

29 November 2009

What can I give you?





I've made my Christmas list. I love making my list and checking it off as I scurry around buying for everyone. Except {you} are painfully absent from my list of gift giving. I struggle with this "list" thing every year...as I write each persons name and what I'm going to give them, {your} name is absent. What do I give to you? ...to someone who I love so much, someone whom I loved shopping with, and shopping for...

Somehow decorating your grave doesn't seem like enough. I try to make it "fabulous"...I know you would like my big fufu loopie bows with streamers that flow in the wind...sparkly ribbons and accessories...but do you know that I want to buy you new clothes?.... cute things for your house?...a new piece to your village? a new cookbook?...a darling rose headband for your hair? {do you know these are popular right now?}...all these things and more I miss writing on a list next to your name..{which by the way means "Christmas"....}
What can I give you Natalie?.... I know it's not the ribbon or the sparkles, or the darling accessories...or even any monetary gift that can be purchased from a store, wrapped with a fabulous bow on it... ..a simple Christmas song reminded me of this with the same question asked of what to give The "baby" lying in a manger...the answer "I'll give Him my heart".
So I'll take a lesson from this and from the Grinch that Christmas comes without the packages and bows...it comes from the heart. Winnie the Pooh always has the best way of putting it..."If there ever comes a day when we can't be together keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever
I'm going to add your name to my Christmas list..and next to it I will simply write ..."my heart".
Love you, miss you, Merry Christmas Natalie

12 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I feel for you Sherie and all of your family. The holidays are so hard when you are missing someone.

Hugs to YOU and YOURS!

ToOdLeS.

The Neilson Family said...

Sherie that would be hard. I think that gift will be wonderful. I think she is very happy watching you learn and grow through this. We wish she was here too!

[BrookeO] said...

Thanks for this, truly a gift.

Anonymous said...

Sherie,
This is so true. Your posts just always give such meaning to things. I really love reading this blog.
I have a question for you! I serve in the RS, and one of my counselor's just lost her son in Afghanistan. It has been very difficult as I know you understand completely. I remember when you made your girls those lap quilts with Nat's pictures on them, and how much it meant to them. I was thinking that maybe I could do this for Dona.
I was wondering if you would mind emailing me some of the details of how you did those for your girls. My email is tammythrelfall@yahoo.com.
I hope you are all doing good. I have always looked up to you and your family, and appreciate all the inspiration I get from you guys without you ever knowing you're giving it.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

So sweet Sherie! Love you Natalie.

Unknown said...

I recently read a story somewhere about a man who hated the monetary part of Christmas. His wife started giving him a different kind of gift..she would meet someone else's need and put a white envelope on the tree for him Christmas morning..he would open things like, (wrestling equip to that poor school, money for a new playground...etc..etc - they were things that really meant something to her husband) After her husband passed unexpectedly this wife was amazed to find all her children had left their dad a white envelope...love it..maybe you could do this for natalie this year.

patty said...

Beautiful Sherie! As always. Sending love your way!

Heather said...

I linked over to your blog one day awhile ago and I've checked it frequently since. I think the love that you share of your daughter is so beautiful. It makes me wish my Mom had that kind of love in her, but she is quite serving of herself and the love she expresses to her children is not done well, at all. Your daughter is so blessed to have you as a Mother.

Jamie W said...

What a sweet post. Made me cry. You have a beautiful way with words.

Annie said...

I too struggle with this EVERY year. I remember all the FABULOUS gifts Natalie gave me through out the years and it used to be so much fun to look forward to what she would give me the next Christmas. Having some struggles this Christmas and I am missing my Needles.

Skyler and Bailey said...

I was so lucky to come across this blog and was touched by the stories on it. My whole family sends our love (I was a Griffin Kid. My mom is Joyce)

Related Posts with Thumbnails